Thalassemia Centre

NTR Trust Blood Banks provide free blood to Thalassemia patients. Taking it further, a full-fledged Thalassemia blood transfusion centre has been established and inaugurated by our Managing Trustee Smt. Nara Bhuvaneswari garu on 14th June 2019.

Free and safe blood transfusion along with the requisite medicines are being provided to the needy patients regularly thereby improving the longevity and quality of life for such patients.

What is Thalassemia?

Thalassemia Major is a genetic blood disorder, where patient cannot produce normal Haemoglobin. Red cells are unable to transport oxygen. This disease is more prevalent in Sindhi, Punjabi, Gujarati and Lohana caste. In India, at every 10000 birth one child is born with Thalassemia Major. There is almost 3500 Thalassemia Major Patients in Hyderabad.

Thalassemia Major

If both the parents are Thalassemia Minor, then there are 25% chances of having a Thalassemia Major baby, 50% chances of having Thalassemia Minor kids and only 25% chances of having an absolute normal child

Difficulties for Thalassemia Major Children

  • Thalassemia Major Children is unable to produce healthy and effective Red cells. Hence they have problem of pallor, weakness, growth retardation, bone deformities etc.
  • Thalassemia Major is almost an incurable disease.
  • For survival, they need repeated Red cells transfusion at 15 to 20 days. Hence it becomes apparent that life of these patients is dependent on regular Blood donors.
  • Due to repeated transfusions, there is an iron overload in the body, which gets deposited in heart, liver and pancreas. Excess iron has to be removed with chelator drug and this drug is expensive.
  • They are at increased risk of blood borne infections like HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.
  • It is a costly affair for a family as the monthly treatment cost Rs.8,000-10,000
  • The Thalassemic children will have to undergo blood transfusion from the time of their birth till the time they survive, thus undergoing stress of pain and huge financial commitment.
  • Despite all the pain and medication, only few of Thalassemia children cross teenage in India.

Blood bank

We have saved more than 4 LAKH LIVES through our Blood Banks in Hyderabad, Guntur, Vizag and Tirupati.

Read more

Health camps

6951 Medical Camps 44 Districts in AP and Telangana 15.8 Lakh people benefited

Read more